Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Watching the Tide for Clues

The tide is the rise and fall of sea levels. Stick around the beach long enough and you will see that the tide comes in at one point in the day and goes out during another. Ocean waters faithfully repeat this display on a daily basis. Recently, God used the motion of the tide to give me a visual lesson.

"Vision" is defined as the manner in which one sees or conceives of something. Practically though, it's about dreams, goals and ideas. There are times when we begin to realize that God is placing a new vision inside of us, complete with new burdens, fresh insight and additional understanding. As with everything, the Lord's will in heaven becoming reality on earth is a process. That process will purify and refine the vision in accordance with the Lord's will. Of course, this doesn't have nearly as much to do with the vision itself as it has to do with the vision seer.

The vision had already been cast. I accepted my assignment and I recognized God's direction. My heart was ready, my mind was alert, the vision had been poured out and it was already taking shape. I found myself puzzled with some details and nuances, but the vision was right in front of me, perfectly positioned to burst with His energy and timing. Wait. What's happening? Are You seeing this? Where is it going? Are you allowing this? Why now? What if? When? Where are you? How does this glorify you? That hurt. Help me.

Like the outbound tide, the water isn't receding backwards forever. Like the outbound tide, neither is the vision. He will allow separation between us and the vision. He will allow it to become faint and feel distant. For a moment, it can even feel like it is completely gone, as though someone, something or some force of nature has stolen it away from us. I'm not sure there is much that hurts worse than releasing our grip from a tightly held, much beloved dream; especially if we never thought we would have too. God allowed me to feel distant from the dream. I saw and felt and watched it leaving my hands. It was literally leaving me, like the outbound tide and I was powerless to stop it. There's a reason why "help me" was the final statement in the series of questions above. When you find yourself powerless, hurting and wounded, there is only one thing left to say, "Lord, help me."

Then you shall see and be radiant, and your heart shall thrill and tremble with joy [at the glorious deliverance] and be enlarged; because the abundant wealth of the sea shall be turned to you, unto you shall the nations come with their treasures. (Isaiah 60:5)

"Because the abundance of the sea will be TURNED to you." This was the day when I realized the vision hadn't left, neither had the vision giver. Just like the tide, God would allow the distance and, in the waiting for it's return, He went about refining and purifying. His promise was that the vision was returning, but it wouldn't be the exact same when it rolled onto the shore this time. There would be some things that would be deliberately different. 

This tide analogy also mirrors our separation from God. You know you are missing something but are powerless to understand what it is or how to get it. He knows what's missing and He TURNS to you. If you are an Ex Orphan, then you KNOW and need to TURN to them. After all, it really is all about creating Ex Orphans.

As for Me, this is My covenant with them, says the LORD: “My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children’s children, from now on and forever,” says the LORD. (Isaiah 59:21)

His promise is that He will NOT depart from us, that His spirit will always be at work within us. No one can take that away. No outbound tide affects this promise. Whether you are sitting on the beach with miles of barren shore or looking down to see the water covering your feet again, you can have confidence in His promise, His love and His assurance to always TURN to you.


Proclaiming Him to the Fatherless in hopes of creating EX Orphans!
www.EXORPHAN.org

No comments:

Post a Comment