Friday, April 27, 2012

Riding the Spiritual Roller Coaster

I'm not much of a "thrill" seeker. Whatever existing cell structure or chromosome can be attributed with the tendency for spontaneity and a willingness to place oneself in harm's way in order to experience a state of euphoria... well, I didn't get it. By the way, euphoria is defined as, "a feeling of happiness, confidence, or well-being sometimes exaggerated in pathological states as mania." There you have it. Those of you who relate to this exaggerated state are, in fact, maniacs. And, by definition, I am exonerated.

I live with many males. As if I didn't know before, males and females are quite different. Most of the males in my home are thrill seekers, they throw caution into the wind when faced with the "thrill" of a new experience. On the other hand, I stare new experiences in the face and ponder, a word that is almost exclusively reserved for females. I'm quite analytical, which explains why I have a science degree and in a former life performed calculations and wrote uninteresting, technical reports on a daily basis. I have a tendency to look at the life cycle of a decision ahead of making one. In theory, this practical formula for living should keep me from harm, danger, injury, risk, mishap and controversy. Now, if only God regarded my natural tendencies.

"Our natural strengths will always fight against our dependence on God." -The Search for Significance

Think of a roller coaster. As I stand in front of the thing, I am glancing at the design and the architecture. I am calculating, trying to determine the overall height, the depth of the drop sequences, the existence of black holes of darkness, instances of repetitive circling. It's possible, if my brain could be heard out loud, it would sound something like this, "a closed plane curve consisting of all points at a given distance from a point within it called the center, equation: x 2  + y 2  = r 2). Frightening, I know. Again, if only God regarded my natural tendencies, my natural desire to predict. 

Now, think of a spiritual roller coaster. Spiritual roller coasters are those things that God presents, things that go against all our natural tendencies. Sure, they might appear thrilling, exciting, maybe even "bucket list" worthy on the surface. But, as in mathematics and science, there is always an equal and opposite reaction. When God asks us to do something new, He isn't asking us to take a chance. The fact that He is the requester, should  be evidence of His permission and approval. In this case, God has already performed the risk analysis. He has already examined the situation, I need not investigate further, but trust and step forward. But, how about that equal and opposite reaction? The condition of being afraid, whether a threat is real or imagined, can be paralyzing and limiting. Every person on the planet can relate to moments of apprehension.

If God has presented you with something outside your comfort zone, something that challenges every natural tendency that exists within you and sounds an internal alarm indicating the presence of fear, just do it scared. I feel like I've heard that quote before, "just do it scared." I couldn't find that quote exactly, though it would seem like some sort of weird marketing alliance between Nike's, "just do it," and Eleanor Roosevelt's saying, "Do one thing everyday that scares you." 

It's possible, that's the good news. "I will not fear though tens of thousands assail me on every side." (Psalm 3:6) Imagine that within every believer is the strength of the spirit to empower us to look tens of thousands in the face and feel confident. All the other Israelite men retreated in terror upon seeing Goliath, but David approached the giant with only his shepherd's staff, a few stones and a sling. When God asks us to do something new, His grace and favor surround that experience in abundance. Those experiences are gifts that will grow us in our dependency on the Lord, in the discipline of obedience, in submitting our natural tendencies to His examination. 

We simply can't always predict what will happen and we shouldn't want to. To be able to predict implies I have an underlying expertise. The older I get, the more I realize what I don't know. Fact is, I am dependent on Christ. I rely on Him. My plans are contingent upon Him. I am subject to Him. He influences me. I require His direction for my spiritual health. His existence gives value to my existence.

I can't predict what the Lord will ask you to do, that task that will challenge you to your core. However, I can encourage you to take that step forward with Him. Just like a literal roller coaster, there will be twists and turns on the journey, moments of darkness followed by glorious light. We can't predict the depths of the valley's we will walk any more than the heights of the mountaintops we will visit. Confidence, in the Lord, comes after seeing He was faithful to complete the task in you despite the anxiety and in light of your trust. So, you are just going to have to, "do it scared."

Proclaiming Him to the Fatherless in hopes of creating EX Orphans!
www.EXORPHAN.org

No comments:

Post a Comment